[ANN] Ruby Installer for Windows 1.8.2-14_RC5 (from Ruby 1.8.2 preview1)
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-21 20:37:58 UTC
Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.

You can download this release candidate from:

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/

You can check for reported problems (or report new problems) at:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167

What is the Ruby Installer for Windows?
---------------------------------------

The Ruby Installer for Windows is a "one-click", self-contained Windows
installer that contains the Ruby language itself, dozens of popular
extensions and packages, a syntax-highlighting editor and execution
environment, and a Windows help file that contains the full text of the
book, "Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide".

Release 1.8.2-14:
- This is a build of Ruby 1.8.2 preview1.
- Changed the layout of the Windows registry
entries.
- Fixed a typo in a windows registry entry
(bug 643).
- Upgraded Expat to version 1.95.7
- Upgraded Ruby-odbc to version 0.993
- Upgraded DBI to 0.23
- Upgraded FXRuby to version 1.0.29

PS
I know that I went from RC3 to RC5, skipping #4. It was a minor mistake on
my part... such is life! :-)
richard lyman
2004-07-21 23:38:03 UTC
Curt,

I have done absolutely no research, so feel free to respond by
telling me to do my research ;-) ...

There's been a lot of talk lately about Oniguruma.

How does it tie into the Windows Installer? Is it there - can we
use it? Is it the default? Can it just be 'installed' - or does
someone (not me, I don't know how to yet) have to compile it before it
can be installed?

Is 'the standard regexp library problem' even a problem?

Are there any other licensing 'problems' that come about from
what's in the One-click Installer?

Thanks a ton for any response you can give!
-Rich
my part... such is life! :-)
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-22 02:54:15 UTC
Post by richard lyman
Curt,
I have done absolutely no research, so feel free to respond by
telling me to do my research ;-) ...
There's been a lot of talk lately about Oniguruma.
How does it tie into the Windows Installer? Is it there - can we
use it? Is it the default? Can it just be 'installed' - or does
someone (not me, I don't know how to yet) have to compile it before it
can be installed?
No, Oniguruma is not in the Ruby Installer for Windows. The installer is
just a precompiled version of the standard ruby distribution, some extension
libraries (see the release notes), and the scite editor.
Post by richard lyman
Is 'the standard regexp library problem' even a problem?
Are there any other licensing 'problems' that come about from
what's in the One-click Installer?
The licensing issues with the installer would identical to the issues you
would have if you built Ruby and the included extensions yourself. I have no
answer for you beyond that.
Post by richard lyman
Thanks a ton for any response you can give!
Your welcome!
Curt
David Espada
2004-07-22 08:17:11 UTC
Post by Curt Hibbs
Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.
Do it includes ruby-postgres precompiled?

If it doesn't, which reason for not including?

Thanks.

David
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-22 12:36:52 UTC
Post by David Espada
Post by Curt Hibbs
Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.
Do it includes ruby-postgres precompiled?
If it doesn't, which reason for not including?
No, ruby-postgres is not included, so you would have to install it yourself.

A public debate over what should or should not be included has occurred
several times in the past. As you might expect everyone has their own
favorites. I'm sure that a very good case could be made for each possible
inclusion, but it is simply not practical to include too many things, and
its not possible satisfy everyone.

The way I want to address this problem is to include RubyGems in the
installer, and then encourage package authors to release their packages in
RubyGems format. Then getting ruby-postgres installed on your system would
be as simple as running the command "gem install ruby-postgres".

Up until last week I was going to wait until a GUI interface to RubyGems was
available, but that is probably too far off. So, a couple days ago I started
a discussion with the RubyGems developers on whether or not I should include
RubyGems in this 182-14 release. If the answer turns out to be yes, then I
expect to have in 182-14 RC6.

Curt
Lothar Scholz
2004-07-22 12:54:00 UTC
Hello Curt,

CH> A public debate over what should or should not be included has occurred
CH> several times in the past. As you might expect everyone has their own
CH> favorites. I'm sure that a very good case could be made for each possible
CH> inclusion, but it is simply not practical to include too many things, and
CH> its not possible satisfy everyone.

CH> The way I want to address this problem is to include RubyGems in the
CH> installer, and then encourage package authors to release their packages in
CH> RubyGems format. Then getting ruby-postgres installed on your system would
CH> be as simple as running the command "gem install ruby-postgres".

But this does still not help on binary extensions. And until the
brain dead (assuming the build system for extensions is the same as as
the one for the original interpreter) and completely undocumented binary
build system "rb_configure.rb" etc. is changed this is a very serious issue.

My personal request here is to include "wxruby.0.4"
Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com
Lyle Johnson
2004-07-22 13:05:14 UTC
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:54:00 +0900, Lothar Scholz
Post by Lothar Scholz
CH> The way I want to address this problem is to include RubyGems in the
CH> installer, and then encourage package authors to release their packages in
CH> RubyGems format. Then getting ruby-postgres installed on your system would
CH> be as simple as running the command "gem install ruby-postgres".
But this does still not help on binary extensions.
Sure it would, if the package authors provide both source and
precompiled, "binary" gems for their packages. I don't know what
specific issues come into play with the ruby-postgres package, but
I've been experimenting with this in the alpha releases of FXRuby 1.2
and it seems to be working well.
Richard Kilmer
2004-07-22 16:08:21 UTC
Post by Lothar Scholz
CH> The way I want to address this problem is to include RubyGems in the
CH> installer, and then encourage package authors to release their packages in
CH> RubyGems format. Then getting ruby-postgres installed on your system would
CH> be as simple as running the command "gem install ruby-postgres".
But this does still not help on binary extensions.
Sure it would, if the package authors provide both source and
precompiled, "binary" gems for their packages. I don't know what
specific issues come into play with the ruby-postgres package, but
I've been experimenting with this in the alpha releases of FXRuby 1.2
and it seems to be working well.
And, we are adding to Gems the ability to utilize the platform attribute
within the gemspec to select the appropriate binary vs. source gem (or give
the user the option) if provided. So if Lyle puts:

fxruby-1.2.0.gem
#=> spec.platform = Gem::Platform::RUBY

fxruby-1.2.0-win32.gem
#=> spec.platform = Gem::Platform::WIN32

It will pick (not based on the name, that is convention) the fxruby 1.2.0
for your platform if one exists.

If a Linux user did:

gem install -r fxruby

RubyGems would download fxruby-1.2.0.gem and it would build it (using the
extconf.rb, etc) upon install from source.

If a Windows user did:

gem install -r fxruby

RubyGems would download fxruby-1.2.0-win32.gem and it would just install (no
building necessary).

This automatic selection capability will be in Gems SOON (hopefully in a
week), but as Lyle said, you can currently build and install gems that are
binary but its a manual choosing process.

-rich
richard lyman
2004-07-22 16:49:23 UTC
Perfect!!

I will love that functionality.

I had that very problem with the current setup (and I understand that
you've said that this is already being changed), is that when I ran
the command (something like):

gem install --remote fxruby

It got the version that had to be compiled - which I couldn't use...
Lyle helped point out that I'd need to manually select the binary
version (which you've mentioned will be automated), by running the
command

gem install --remote fxruby-1.2.1-mswin32

... and then it worked perfectly.

So... I'm excited for the functionality that will automatically know
that I'm on windows and that I want the binary, precompiled, version
of the package.

I have a question though - what about the list of Gems? Can the basic
listing of remotely installable gems indicate the existance of a
binary version? In other words, when I run the command:

gem list --remote

Can I get some indication of the existance (or non-existance) of the
binary versions?

I'm hoping to avoid useability problems when a package is listed in
the GUI as 'installable', but it really isn't, since there's no binary
version... I hope I'm making sense...

I want you guys to know that your work is really helping the
distribution-ability of Ruby.

-Rich
-rich
Richard Kilmer
2004-07-22 19:11:34 UTC
Post by richard lyman
I have a question though - what about the list of Gems? Can the basic
listing of remotely installable gems indicate the existance of a
gem list --remote
Can I get some indication of the existance (or non-existance) of the
binary versions?
Yeah...we will work that out. It will likely be listed as two gems (one
source, one binary), but the UI (and the list function) will perhaps
highlight the fact that the binary gem for your platform is available.
We'll figure it out so its simple :-)
Post by richard lyman
I'm hoping to avoid useability problems when a package is listed in
the GUI as 'installable', but it really isn't, since there's no binary
version... I hope I'm making sense...
You are, and we agree...the goal is simplicity of use...hope we reach that
goal!
Post by richard lyman
I want you guys to know that your work is really helping the
distribution-ability of Ruby.
Thanks, and the main thing that will help is the whole community
contributing gems!!! So, code and distribute!!!

-rich
Lyle Johnson
2004-07-22 19:20:02 UTC
Post by Richard Kilmer
And, we are adding to Gems the ability to utilize the platform attribute
within the gemspec to select the appropriate binary vs. source gem (or give
the user the option) if provided.
As long as we're on the subject, are there any plans to include (and
make use of) metadata about the Ruby version for which a binary gem
was built? If I build a binary gem against Ruby 1.8.1 and you try to
use it with a different Ruby version, it's likely not to work.
gabriele renzi
2004-07-23 12:26:58 UTC
il Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:08:21 +0900, Richard Kilmer
Post by Richard Kilmer
fxruby-1.2.0.gem
#=> spec.platform = Gem::Platform::RUBY
fxruby-1.2.0-win32.gem
#=> spec.platform = Gem::Platform::WIN32
It will pick (not based on the name, that is convention) the fxruby 1.2.0
for your platform if one exists.
just one thing: I'm not sure if this is just a sample or is closely
related to the behaviour of the gem system, but should'nt it be:

Gem::Platform::WIN32::(MS|DJGPP|MINGW|LCC|WHATEVER) ?

different compiling toolchain are things to take in consideration..
Lyle Johnson
2004-07-23 12:37:59 UTC
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:26:58 +0900, gabriele renzi
Post by gabriele renzi
just one thing: I'm not sure if this is just a sample or is closely
Gem::Platform::WIN32::(MS|DJGPP|MINGW|LCC|WHATEVER) ?
different compiling toolchain are things to take in consideration.
Excellent point. I think it's true that binaries compiled with
Microsoft's compiler or the MinGW compiler are compatible with each
other; but I don't know if that's true for the other cases. Yet
another variable to throw in the mix. ;)
Chad Fowler
2004-07-23 15:42:37 UTC
Post by gabriele renzi
just one thing: I'm not sure if this is just a sample or is closely
Gem::Platform::WIN32::(MS|DJGPP|MINGW|LCC|WHATEVER) ?
different compiling toolchain are things to take in consideration.
Excellent point. I think it's true that binaries compiled with
Microsoft's compiler or the MinGW compiler are compatible with each
other; but I don't know if that's true for the other cases. Yet
another variable to throw in the mix. ;)
This is why this feature isn't done yet. :) It's going to take some
thought to make it work properly. We've got it on the short list of
RubyGems 1.0 features.

Chad
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-22 13:40:05 UTC
Post by Lothar Scholz
Hello Curt,
CH> A public debate over what should or should not be included
has occurred
CH> several times in the past. As you might expect everyone has their own
CH> favorites. I'm sure that a very good case could be made for each possible
CH> inclusion, but it is simply not practical to include too many things, and
CH> its not possible satisfy everyone.
CH> The way I want to address this problem is to include RubyGems in the
CH> installer, and then encourage package authors to release
their packages in
CH> RubyGems format. Then getting ruby-postgres installed on your system would
CH> be as simple as running the command "gem install ruby-postgres".
But this does still not help on binary extensions. And until the
brain dead (assuming the build system for extensions is the same as
the one for the original interpreter) and completely undocumented binary
build system "rb_configure.rb" etc. is changed this is a very
serious issue.
My personal request here is to include "wxruby.0.4"
RubyGems *does* support platform-specific binary gems. This was an issue
that I brought up early on with the RubyGems developers precisely because I
wanted to package up wxRuby as a set of platform-specific binary gems
(although that hasn't happened yet). Do you think that wxRuby is mature
enough?

Curt

PS
I still need to resolve your problem with TCL/TK extension. I sent you a
private email to your [mailinglists at scriptolutions dot com] address about
this, but perhaps it got spam-filtered into oblivion. After the postings
from you and [nobu.nokada at softhome dot net], it was not obvious to me
what the correct solution should be. If you could send me your email address
(send to curt at hibbs dot com), I will re-send you that email.
Thanks, -curt
richard lyman
2004-07-22 13:58:19 UTC
Curt,

I have a GUI for RubyGems...

... if you promise not to laugh at the code, I'll privately send
you what I've got and you can tell me what to do to get it up to the
specs you'd want/need for inclusion in the Windows Installer.

The way I envision it is that the RubyGem interface would be a
compiled binary for Windows, that could have a link in the Programs
menu... then for the average 10yr old, or mom or dad who wanted to
program, they could easily add libraries on to their Ruby
installation... Double-click the RubyGem interface... wait for the
list to load... select the program, see all versions and a
description, select the version to install... click the install
button... you're done. Obviously there would be more options for
advanced users... but I really like the idea of making the
installation of add-on libraries as simple as the installation of
Ruby.

I really want RubyGems in the Windows One-Click... and I _really_
think RubyGems should have a GUI... i.e. I really want to send you my
code, have it reviewed, get everything done that you need, and package
it with the Windows One-Click.

-Rich
P.s. - Windows One-Click.... WOC? :-) Sounds like Wok... which I know
is Chinese, and not Japanese... but it's an interesting acronym. Would
that make it... LOC (Linux...), MOC, (Mac...) ... anyway... :-)
Post by Curt Hibbs
Hello Curt,
Thanks, -curt
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-22 14:29:51 UTC
Post by richard lyman
Curt,
I have a GUI for RubyGems...
... if you promise not to laugh at the code, I'll privately send
you what I've got and you can tell me what to do to get it up to the
specs you'd want/need for inclusion in the Windows Installer.
Yes, please do send it along to [curt at hibbs dot com].
Post by richard lyman
The way I envision it is that the RubyGem interface would be a
compiled binary for Windows, that could have a link in the Programs
menu... then for the average 10yr old, or mom or dad who wanted to
program, they could easily add libraries on to their Ruby
installation... Double-click the RubyGem interface... wait for the
list to load... select the program, see all versions and a
description, select the version to install... click the install
button... you're done. Obviously there would be more options for
advanced users... but I really like the idea of making the
installation of add-on libraries as simple as the installation of
Ruby.
Well, we're definitely on the same page here.
Curt
Lothar Scholz
2004-07-22 14:38:18 UTC
Hello richard,

rl> Curt,

rl> I have a GUI for RubyGems...

rl> ... if you promise not to laugh at the code, I'll privately send
rl> you what I've got and you can tell me what to do to get it up to the
rl> specs you'd want/need for inclusion in the Windows Installer.

I have done some testing for Arachno Ruby. But i will wait until
RubyGems 1.0 is released. A stable backward compatible interface
would be indeed a nice thing, especially now where i get more and more
downloads from files32.com, download.com etc. I can see in my
webserver logs that the first thing they do is to press the "download
ruby" button in my program (it's a redirect on my webserver for the
case that www.ruby-lang.org is down or changing the name).

So for these ruby newbies it would be great if they can have access
to Ruby-GTK, Ruby-ImageMagic and all the other stuff without reading
man pages.
Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com
Jeff Mitchell
2004-07-22 20:31:59 UTC
[...]
Post by Curt Hibbs
Post by Lothar Scholz
But this does still not help on binary extensions. And until the
brain dead (assuming the build system for extensions is the same as
the one for the original interpreter) and completely undocumented binary
build system "rb_configure.rb" etc. is changed this is a very serious issue.
My personal request here is to include "wxruby.0.4"
RubyGems *does* support platform-specific binary gems. This was an issue
that I brought up early on with the RubyGems developers precisely because I
wanted to package up wxRuby as a set of platform-specific binary gems
(although that hasn't happened yet). Do you think that wxRuby is mature
enough?
RubyGems supports binary gems in the sense that you can put any file
type, including binary, into a gem. But there is no useful support
for binary gems; I asked in [ruby-talk:104609] and [ruby-talk:104486]
and in private email, all without reply. (By "binary" I mean
precompiled gems.)

For my gems, I experimented with a mypackage-i686-linux-ruby18-1.2.3.gem
naming scheme but decided it was too polluting to the global gem list
since every platform must have a separate, "unrelated" gem. The naming
scheme mypackage-1.2.3-i686-linux-ruby18.gem is a "Malformed version
number" error. The precompiled gems were also about twice as large as
a .tbz2 of the same files.

I eventually decided to stick with tarballs with .so files until
rubygems formally supports precompiled extensions.

This could be implemented by recognizing a -linux-i686-ruby18 suffix,
for example. Currently, when mypackage-1.2.3-i686-linux-ruby18.gem
exists on gems.rubyforge.org/gems/, there is a 404 Not Found error
for "gem -i mypackage". A first step could be to find gems matching
the host platform suffix when the primary search fails or when the
user requests a binary gem.
Charles Comstock
2004-07-23 05:22:00 UTC
Post by Jeff Mitchell
[...]
I really think it would make more sense to have all that info stored as
metadata in the gem format and not put it in the name. For name
collisions on the server just make a seperate directory for each build
type. The information should certainly be there but I don't know if
it's the best idea to put it all in the name.

Actually come to think of it maybe it would make more sense on the
server end if the gem name is actually just a directory containing each
of the gem build types. I dunno maybe i'm just picky, but I really
think that packages should encode more metadata in a package system and
less in the package name.

Charles Comstock
Laurent Sansonetti
2004-07-22 13:25:10 UTC
Hi Curt,

Thanks for the package. I guess it's very convenient for Microsoft users.

Just a question... do you plan to provide Ruby/GTK2 some day? GTK2
works great on Windows and I believe it would be interesting to ship
Ruby bindings for it, since you already deliver FOX bindings.

(so there is no jalous :)

Cheers,

--
Laurent
my part... such is life! :-)
gabriele renzi
2004-07-22 15:32:00 UTC
il Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:25:10 +0900, Laurent Sansonetti
Post by Laurent Sansonetti
Hi Curt,
Thanks for the package. I guess it's very convenient for Microsoft users.
Just a question... do you plan to provide Ruby/GTK2 some day? GTK2
works great on Windows and I believe it would be interesting to ship
Ruby bindings for it, since you already deliver FOX bindings.
(so there is no jalous :)
on the lines of the hread, I think the best thing would be to package
up all the ruby-gnome2 stuff that works on windows in some gems, and
maybe provide a choice at install time something like cygwin does
gabriele renzi
2004-07-22 15:37:00 UTC
il Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:28:26 GMT, gabriele renzi
Post by gabriele renzi
on the lines of the hread, I think the best thing would be to package
up all the ruby-gnome2 stuff that works on windows in some gems, and
maybe provide a choice at install time something like cygwin does
I mean, when the one click gets installed, pop up a gui with "select
additional packages.."
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-22 15:48:01 UTC
Post by Laurent Sansonetti
Just a question... do you plan to provide Ruby/GTK2 some day? GTK2
works great on Windows and I believe it would be interesting to ship
Ruby bindings for it, since you already deliver FOX bindings.
(so there is no jalous :)
on the lines of the hread, I think the best thing would be to package
up all the ruby-gnome2 stuff that works on windows in some gems, and
maybe provide a choice at install time something like cygwin does
That's the approach I want to take with almost all extensions -- provide
add-ons through RubyGems.

Curt
Laurent Sansonetti
2004-07-23 07:01:22 UTC
Hi Gabriele,

Post by Laurent Sansonetti
Hi Curt,
Thanks for the package. I guess it's very convenient for Microsoft users.
Just a question... do you plan to provide Ruby/GTK2 some day? GTK2
works great on Windows and I believe it would be interesting to ship
Ruby bindings for it, since you already deliver FOX bindings.
(so there is no jalous :)
on the lines of the hread, I think the best thing would be to package
up all the ruby-gnome2 stuff that works on windows in some gems, and
maybe provide a choice at install time something like cygwin does
Mmh good idea. I will have a look at it after the next release. I
wonder how rubygems deal with dependencies.

Laurent
E.-R. Bruecklmeier
2004-07-23 09:02:03 UTC
Post by Curt Hibbs
Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.
Thanx for the intaller. Is there a special reason, why the windows
package still comes with tk8.3 which in fact makes a lot of troubles (at
least under win98)?

ERic.
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-26 04:46:19 UTC
Post by E.-R. Bruecklmeier
Post by Curt Hibbs
Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.
Thanx for the intaller. Is there a special reason, why the windows
package still comes with tk8.3 which in fact makes a lot of troubles (at
least under win98)?
No particular reason other than we haven't taken the time to update to a
newer version.

Curt
Meino Christian Cramer
2004-07-26 05:27:19 UTC
Hi,

I have a short question:

What is the version of ruby used as base for PickAxe I and where can
I find a summary of all changes upto the current version of Ruby?

Thanks in advance ! :O)

Ruby.use!
Meino
Zakaria
2004-07-23 09:06:25 UTC
Post by Curt Hibbs
Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.
http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167
[...]

Does it fix ri bug related to PAGER in WinMe [ruby-talk:103662]?

Wassallam,

-- Zakaria
***@bigfoot.com Yahoo!: z4k4ri4
http://zakaria.is-a-geek.org
http://pemula.linux.or.id
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-23 12:46:30 UTC
Post by Zakaria
Post by Curt Hibbs
Today Matz released the official preview1 for Ruby 1.8.2. This release
candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows was built from this new
preview1.
http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167
[...]
Does it fix ri bug related to PAGER in WinMe [ruby-talk:103662]?
I have fixed the general problem with how I was building the RI database in
the installer. But any bugs that may have existed in RI itself would be
fixed in the Ruby distribution. Perhaps you could test this and let us know.
If its still a problem, we could pass that on to Dave.

Curt
Dave Thomas
2004-07-23 12:59:57 UTC
Post by Zakaria
Does it fix ri bug related to PAGER in WinMe [ruby-talk:103662]?
I must have missed this one. But unfortunately I don't have an ME box
to try it on anyway. If you could send me a detailed description, I can
try to fix it "in theory" and you can be my testing department :)

Cheers

Dave
Zakaria
2004-07-26 10:08:57 UTC
Post by Dave Thomas
Post by Zakaria
Does it fix ri bug related to PAGER in WinMe [ruby-talk:103662]?
I must have missed this one. But unfortunately I don't have an ME box
to try it on anyway. If you could send me a detailed description, I can
try to fix it "in theory" and you can be my testing department :)
Here's what I do to track down the problem.
I use the latest ruby182-14_rc5.exe from Ruby Installer on rubyforge.

First I add some debug info to ri_display.rb
--- ri_display.rb.orig 2004-03-25 22:31:10.000000000 +0700
+++ ri_display.rb 2004-07-26 16:35:30.000000000 +0700
@@ -223,11 +223,16 @@
@save_stdout = nil
paged = false
for pager in [ ENV['PAGER'], "less", "more <", 'pager' ].compact.uniq
+STDERR.puts "#{pager} #{path}"
if system("#{pager} #{path}")
paged = true
break
end
end
+STDERR.puts "paged: #{paged}"
+STDERR.print 'Press Enter'
+STDERR.flush
+STDIN.readline
if !paged
@options.use_stdout = true
puts File.read(path)

The I try to run ri in DOS Prompt
C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>ri String
less C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/ri_256695.0
more < C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/ri_256695.0
File not found
paged: true
Press Enter

The problem is in system("more < file"). I try similar thing with irb
irb(main):001:0> system "more < c:\autoexec.bat"
File not found
=> true

Same result.

I did more experiment on irb
irb(main):002:0> system 'more c:\autoexec.bat'
=> false

irb(main):003:0> system 'more.com c:\autoexec.bat'

SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TCL_LIBRARY=c:\ruby\tcl\lib\tcl8.3
SET RUBY_TCL_DLL=c:\ruby\bin\tcl83.dll
SET RUBY_TK_DLL=c:\ruby\bin\tk83.dll
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;c:\ruby\bin
=> true

irb(main):004:0> system 'more.com < c:\autoexec.bat'

SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TCL_LIBRARY=c:\ruby\tcl\lib\tcl8.3
SET RUBY_TCL_DLL=c:\ruby\bin\tcl83.dll
SET RUBY_TK_DLL=c:\ruby\bin\tk83.dll
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;c:\ruby\bin
=> true

It appear I must use 'more.com'. So I add 'more.com' before 'more <'
for pager in [ ENV['PAGER'], "less", "more.com", "more <", 'pager' ].compact.uniq

Here's the result
C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>ri String
less C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/ri_256695.0
more.com C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/ri_256695.0
Invalid switch
paged: true
Press Enter

I believe that because the path is in UNIX style, so 'more' think it is a
DOS style command-line switch (/something).

The question is:
1. Why system('more') doesn't find more.com?
2. Why the path is in UNIX style?
3. How to change it to DOS style?
Post by Dave Thomas
Cheers
Dave
Wassallam,

-- Zakaria
***@bigfoot.com Yahoo!: z4k4ri4
http://zakaria.is-a-geek.org
http://pemula.linux.or.id
Zakaria
2004-07-26 16:19:21 UTC
I finally able to fix the problem

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 07:08:57PM +0900, Zakaria wrote:

[...]
Post by Zakaria
The problem is in system("more < file"). I try similar thing with irb
irb(main):001:0> system "more < c:\autoexec.bat"
File not found
=> true
Silly me, I forgot to escape '\'.
If i use system("more < c:\\autoexec.bat") everything will work as
expected.

The actual problem is:
1. The path is UNIX style which must be converted to DOS style before
passed on to external program.
2. For some reason in Windows ME Tempfile is working intermittenly.
As a workaround I unlink it after use and it always works.

Here's the patch
--- ri_display.rb.orig 2004-03-25 22:31:10.000000000 +0700
+++ ri_display.rb 2004-07-26 22:34:26.000000000 +0700
@@ -210,7 +210,8 @@
require 'tempfile'

@save_stdout = STDOUT.clone
- STDOUT.reopen(Tempfile.new("ri_"))
+ @tempfile = Tempfile.new("ri_")
+ STDOUT.reopen(@tempfile)
end
end

@@ -219,6 +220,7 @@
def page_output
unless @options.use_stdout
path = STDOUT.path
+ path = path.gsub(%{/}, '\\\\') if Config::CONFIG['arch'] =~ /mswin/
STDOUT.reopen(@save_stdout)
@save_stdout = nil
paged = false
@@ -232,6 +234,16 @@
@options.use_stdout = true
puts File.read(path)
end
+
+ retryctr = 0
+ begin
+ retryctr += 1
+ @tempfile.unlink
+ rescue
+ sleep 0.1
+ retry if retryctr < 10
+ end
+ @tempfile = nil
end
end

Dave, is the patch OK?

Wassallam,

-- Zakaria
***@bigfoot.com Yahoo!: z4k4ri4
http://zakaria.is-a-geek.org
http://pemula.linux.or.id
Dave Thomas
2004-08-02 02:52:20 UTC
======
--- ri_display.rb.orig 2004-03-25 22:31:10.000000000 +0700
+++ ri_display.rb 2004-07-26 22:34:26.000000000 +0700
@@ -210,7 +210,8 @@
require 'tempfile'
@save_stdout = STDOUT.clone
- STDOUT.reopen(Tempfile.new("ri_"))
end
end
I went to apply this patch, and discovered that it doesn't correspond
to the current 'ri' source. Is this really the version of ri being
distributed in the windows installer?

Cheers

Dave
Javier Fontan
2004-07-24 00:25:01 UTC
Hello,

Will the final version have the opengl bindings? I was so surprised
when I installed latest RC and opengl didn't come. Does opengl
bindings have any problem?

Bye, and thank you for the work.
my part... such is life! :-)
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-24 01:48:15 UTC
Post by Javier Fontan
Hello,
Will the final version have the opengl bindings? I was so surprised
when I installed latest RC and opengl didn't come. Does opengl
bindings have any problem?
Bye, and thank you for the work.
Hmmm.... I think it should have been there. I'll have to look into what
happened. Thanks for the report.

Curt
Jos Backus
2004-07-24 04:46:11 UTC
Post by Curt Hibbs
Post by Javier Fontan
Hello,
Will the final version have the opengl bindings? I was so surprised
when I installed latest RC and opengl didn't come. Does opengl
bindings have any problem?
Bye, and thank you for the work.
Hmmm.... I think it should have been there. I'll have to look into what
happened. Thanks for the report.
I commented out the OpenGL bindings because they were causing the builder.rb
script to fail. This is reflected in the commit message, see

http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/installer/builder/builder.rb?rev=1.8&cvsroot=rubyinstaller&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

The exact error message text is at work, sorry. I will dig it up next week if
you can't reproduce the problem I was seeing. It didn't look like a local
issue to me.
--
Jos Backus _/ _/_/_/ Sunnyvale, CA
_/ _/ _/
jos at catnook.com _/_/ _/_/_/ require 'std/disclaimer'
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-24 04:56:11 UTC
Post by Jos Backus
Post by Curt Hibbs
Post by Javier Fontan
Hello,
Will the final version have the opengl bindings? I was so surprised
when I installed latest RC and opengl didn't come. Does opengl
bindings have any problem?
Bye, and thank you for the work.
Hmmm.... I think it should have been there. I'll have to look into what
happened. Thanks for the report.
I commented out the OpenGL bindings because they were causing the builder.rb
script to fail. This is reflected in the commit message, see
http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/installer/bui
lder/builder.rb?rev=1.8&cvsroot=rubyinstaller&content-type=text/vn
d.viewcvs-markup
The exact error message text is at work, sorry. I will dig it up next week if
you can't reproduce the problem I was seeing. It didn't look like a local
issue to me.
No, that's not the problem. Lyle Johnson sent me a new binary build which I
thought I included, but I must have screwed up somewhere. Anyway, I'll make
sure its back in for RC6 (which will probably be when matz releases 1.8.2
final).

Curt
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-24 05:46:09 UTC
Post by Curt Hibbs
Hmmm.... I think it [opengl] should have been there. I'll have to look
into what
happened. Thanks for the report.
Yeah, I messed this one up... I just figure out what I did. Opengl support
will be in the next release candidate (which will probably be when matz
releases the final 1.8.2).

If anyone needs the opengl support right away, let me know and I will email
the binary files to you.

Curt
Jos Backus
2004-07-24 06:27:50 UTC
Post by Curt Hibbs
Post by Jos Backus
Post by Curt Hibbs
Post by Javier Fontan
[...]
Okay, glad to hear that's working again, Curt. It wasn't at the time I checked
in the change.

Thanks,
--
Jos Backus _/ _/_/_/ Sunnyvale, CA
_/ _/ _/
jos at catnook.com _/_/ _/_/_/ require 'std/disclaimer'
Peter C. Verhage
2004-07-24 12:26:56 UTC
Hi,

Am I right that this package does not contain OpenSSL?

Regards,

Peter
gabriele renzi
2004-07-24 13:11:55 UTC
il Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:25:10 +0200, "Peter C. Verhage"
Post by Peter C. Verhage
Hi,
Am I right that this package does not contain OpenSSL?
I thnki you can try the openssl.so from usa netsumi:
http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/

with the older preview it seemed to work
daz
2004-07-25 08:06:54 UTC
Post by gabriele renzi
http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/
I'm sure Gabriele meant to attribute NAKAMURA Usaku (usa).

:daz
gabriele renzi
2004-07-25 08:51:55 UTC
sorry sorry sorry and thanks for the precisation :)
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-26 04:42:59 UTC
Post by Peter C. Verhage
Hi,
Am I right that this package does not contain OpenSSL?
Yes, you are correct.

Curt
Mehr, Assaph (Assaph)

http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/articles/rubyOneEightOh.html
Meino Christian Cramer
2004-07-26 05:48:42 UTC
From: "Mehr, Assaph (Assaph)" <***@avaya.com>
Subject: Re: PickAxe I
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:30:50 +0900

Hi,

Whow ! What a fast reply !!! Thanks a lot ! :O)

Have a nice day!
Meino
Meino Christian Cramer
2004-07-26 18:49:06 UTC
From: Meino Christian Cramer <***@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:48:42 +0900

Hi
...short additional question:

I noticed an updated date (rhetorical recursion...) of in the top of
http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/articles/rubyOneEightOh.html....
Is this due to the site update or was the _contents_ of this summary
also updated ?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ruby.use!
Meino
why the lucky stiff
2004-07-26 19:03:30 UTC
Post by Meino Christian Cramer
I noticed an updated date (rhetorical recursion...) of in the top of
http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/articles/rubyOneEightOh.html....
Is this due to the site update or was the _contents_ of this summary
also updated ?
Recent content changes, yes, were subtle appearance and spelling
changes. I'll be sure to have an update covering 1.8.2.

_why
Meino Christian Cramer
2004-07-26 19:27:36 UTC
From: why the lucky stiff <ruby-***@whytheluckystiff.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 04:03:30 +0900

Hi _why !

(sometimes I am not really sure what is better: Ruby or its
community...:O)

Thank you very much for your fast reply and for this document and
its maintainance!!!

For me it is a lot easier to learn a programming language on base
of such comprehensive and condensed """feature lists""" than on the
base of long stories (The PickAxe counts as "comprehensive and
condensed" not as "story"). Too much words makes the taste of
something thin and weak...as too much water in a soup... X-)
Post by why the lucky stiff
Post by Meino Christian Cramer
I noticed an updated date (rhetorical recursion...) of in the top of
http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/articles/rubyOneEightOh.html....
Is this due to the site update or was the _contents_ of this summary
also updated ?
Recent content changes, yes, were subtle appearance and spelling
changes. I'll be sure to have an update covering 1.8.2.
_why
Why not ? X-) :O}

Ruby.use!
Meino
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-29 17:27:11 UTC
This release candidate of the Ruby Installer for Windows
was built from the recently released Ruby 1.8.2 preview1.
Unless serious problems are reported, this will probably
be the last release candidate until matz releases 1.8.2
final.

There were four changes since RC5:
- tab-completion in irb now works
(thanks to _why for his help).
- The OpenGL support that was
inadvertently left out of RC5
is back in.
- Start menu shortcuts have been
added to online documentation on
ruby-doc.org.
- The "reboot" dialog message at the
end of the installation has been
removed to enable unattended
installations using the command
line arguments:
/S /D=<install dir>

You can download this release candidate from:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

You can check for reported problems (or report
new problems) at:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167

What is the Ruby Installer for Windows?
---------------------------------------

The Ruby Installer for Windows is a "one-click",
self-contained Windows installer that contains
the Ruby language itself, dozens of popular
extensions and packages, a syntax-highlighting
editor and execution environment, and a Windows
help file that contains the full text of the
book, "Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's
Guide".

Change Log for 1.8.2-14_RC6
---------------------------
- This is a build of Ruby 1.8.2 preview1.
- Corrected missing OpenGL support.
- Added Start Menu shortcuts to documentation
on ruby-doc.org.
- Eliminated the installer dialog message that
warned you might need to reboot your system.
This allows for unattended installs using the
command-line arguments:
/S /D=<install dir>
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-30 19:52:49 UTC
Ok, ok... I know I said no more releases until
1.8.2 final, but Matz just released 1.8.2
preview2 so I thought I would get an installer
out that includes this before I go on my vacation
tomorrow. There were no other changes since rc6 Enjoy!

Curt

===== Original Text from RC6 Release =====

James Britt
2004-07-30 20:52:41 UTC
Post by Curt Hibbs
- Start menu shortcuts have been
added to online documentation on
ruby-doc.org.
The shortcut to the stdlib should be fine; the shortcut to core libs is
not.

The installer sets a shortcut to
"http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/rdoc/1.9/"

Those are RDoc pages from a now old copy of 1.9. I believe I put them
there because of issues at the time with folks getting RDoc/ri for
1.8.something

Ye, I realize the ruby-doc.org homepage has that link under "core API";
that needs to change, though I could not right this moment tell you when
I will get to that.

Perhaps, though, you should set the href to
"http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/rdoc/1.8/" which does not currently exist
but should.

On the other hand, for some sort of symmetry with the stdlib link, it
might be better as "http://www.ruby-doc.org/corelib/"

Or something. Suggestions welcome. (I tend to prefer URLs that follow
some sort of convention, such that if you see one or two you can make
reasonable guesses about others, though things don't always evolve that
way.)

James
Curt Hibbs
2004-07-30 22:12:58 UTC
I'm in a rush at the moment, but I wanted say, just let me know what URL you
want me to use. Also, If you want me to add anything else, let me know that,
too.

Thanks,
Curt
Post by Curt Hibbs
[...]
---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
James Britt
2004-07-31 04:38:15 UTC
Post by Curt Hibbs
I'm in a rush at the moment, but I wanted say, just let me know what URL you
want me to use. Also, If you want me to add anything else, let me know that,
too.
Thanks,
Curt
I've replaced the 1.9 rdocs with 1.8.2 RC rdocs.

The "Core API" link is now
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/

So that should be the URL for 'Ruby Core API' shortcut created by the
installer.

Thanks for all the work!

James Britt
n***@softhome.net
2004-08-04 12:04:18 UTC
Hi,

At Sat, 31 Jul 2004 04:52:49 +0900,
Post by Curt Hibbs
Ok, ok... I know I said no more releases until
1.8.2 final, but Matz just released 1.8.2
preview2 so I thought I would get an installer
out that includes this before I go on my vacation
tomorrow. There were no other changes since rc6 Enjoy!
Aren't you going to change the points which I wrote in
[ruby-talk:105550] and [ruby-talk:106176]?

* envrionment variables TCL_LIBRARY and RUBY_{TCL,TK}_DLL are
set.

* duplicated files.
Nobu Nakada
Curt Hibbs
2004-08-04 13:08:52 UTC
Post by Curt Hibbs
Ok, ok... I know I said no more releases until
1.8.2 final, but Matz just released 1.8.2
preview2 so I thought I would get an installer
out that includes this before I go on my vacation
tomorrow. There were no other changes since rc6 Enjoy!
Aren't you going to change the points which I wrote in
[ruby-talk:105550] and [ruby-talk:106176]?
* environment variables TCL_LIBRARY and RUBY_{TCL,TK}_DLL are
set.
* duplicated files.
--
Nobu Nakada
I wanted to make these changes, but when I started to make the changes, it

Below is what I sent you (please let me know if this is correct).

Thank you,
Curt

2004-08-05 06:14:21 UTC
Hi,

At Wed, 4 Aug 2004 22:08:52 +0900,
Post by Curt Hibbs
I wanted to make these changes, but when I started to make the changes, it
wasn't clear precisely what I was supposed to do. At that time I sent you a
done and asking if that was correct, but I never got a response before I had
to leave for my vacation.
Unfortunately, I've not received it.
Post by Curt Hibbs
Post by n***@softhome.net
Post by Curt Hibbs
[...]
DEL C:\ruby\lib\tcl*.*
DEL C:\ruby\lib\tk*.*
And lib/{*-tk.rb,tk,tkextlib,README}. In other words, not
install ext/tk there.
Post by Curt Hibbs
MOVE DIR TREE C:\ruby\tcl\lib\
TO C:\ruby\lib
Also tcl\include, and remove samples/Tcl/Tk-1.8.1/sample then
move sample/sample to there.
Post by Curt Hibbs
DO NOT SET VAR "TCL_LIBRARY"
And RUBY_TCL_DLL and RUBY_TK_DLL.

Or, you could configure with --enable-tcltk_stubs option; I
recommend this so that users can select other tcl/tk versions
and locations by the above two variables.
Nobu Nakada
Curt Hibbs
2004-08-05 17:26:33 UTC
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will make these changes as soon as I
can and put out RC8 so that people who use TCL/TK can have a chance to test
it.

Curt
Curt Hibbs
2004-08-05 22:44:41 UTC
I just posted a test release of the Ruby Installer for
Windows with the TCL/TK files moved around (hopefully
into their correct locations), plus this version of the
installer does not set any environment variables for TCL.

Since I am completely ignorant of TCL/TK, so I have no
idea whether of not this will work. If you know TCL/TK
please test this version and let me know both ways (if
it works or if it doesn't). If it does not work it
would be particularly useful if you could determine why
and include in your report precisely what should be
changed.

Please send reports to curt at hibbs dot com and
include "RubyTCL" in the subject line so that my
spam filter doesn't delete it.

Thanks,
Curt
Curt Hibbs